Well he did it! He is returning to the middle east, the same middle east that we completely destroyed in our quest to save Iraqi’s, so that more of our sons and daughters can die! He didn’t need Congress – again – to send Americans to their death in a country where the turmoil is even more dangerous now because our military has enemies and allies within every single terrorist group worldwide – SO WHO ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO SHOOT AND HOW ARE THEY TO WATCH THEIR OWN BACKS OR TRUST ANYONE IN THE MIDDLE EAST, LET ALONE OUR OWN GOVERNMENT! Obama is sending YOUR sons and daughters to their death, what are you going to do about it?!!!
IMPEACH IMPEACH IMPEACH!!!
Obama announces 275 US troops WILL be sent to Iraq to protect American embassy in Baghdad days after saying they would not return
- President Obama announced that American troops are being deployed to Iraq
- Returning nearly three years after the United States withdrew in 2011
- Deployed to protect American personnel and embassy staff in Baghdad
- This comes as John Kerry says Washington is ‘open to discussions’ with Tehran about military cooperation
- He also told Yahoo! News correspondent Katie Couric that drone strikes also ‘may well be’ an option in the coming days
- Just a year ago, Obama was weighing ever-tougher sanctions against Iran’s mullahs
- ISIS captured Tal Afar, a key northern town along the highway to Syria, early on Monday, with a population of 200,000 people
- The US Navy has sent yet another ship into the Persian Gulf, this time to carry Osprey combat helicopters
President Obama announced on Monday evening that US ground troops ‘equipped for combat’ are being sent to Iraq – just days after claiming that no American soldiers would be deployed to the war-torn country.
In a letter to Congress, the president said American troops will be returning to Iraq only three years after they left and their deployment began on Sunday.
Obama said that their only purpose will be to protect U.S. personnel and the embassy in Baghdad – and not to join in the fierce fighting raging outside the Iraqi capital.
The president did tell Congress, however, that American military personnel in Baghdad will be ‘equipped for combat.’
Scroll down for video
Executive decision to deploy troops: President Barack Obama waves as he walks with first lady Michelle Obama on their return to the White House from a trip to California, on Monday, June 16, 2014, in Washington
The president did not give a deadline for the troops’ exit, saying only that the 275 soldiers will remain in Iraq for as long as they are needed to protect U.S. interests.
About 160 troops are already in Iraq, including 50 Marines and more than 100 U.S. Army soldiers. Some of those soldiers have only recently arrived.
Under the authorization Obama outlined, a U.S. official says the U.S. will put an additional 100 soldiers in a nearby third country where they would be held in reserve until needed.
The White House says the U.S. military personnel are entering Iraq with its consent.
‘The personnel will provide assistance to the Department of State,’ White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said in a statement, ‘in connection with the temporary relocation of some staff from the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad to the U.S. Consulates General in Basra and Erbil and to the Iraq Support Unit in Amman [Jordan].’
‘The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad remains open,’ Carney added, ‘and a substantial majority of the U.S. Embassy presence in Iraq will remain in place and the embassy will be fully equipped to carry out its national security mission.’